HomeAssamAssam Flood Relief: Second ₹15,000 Aid Tranche Reaches 31,951 Families

Assam Flood Relief: Second ₹15,000 Aid Tranche Reaches 31,951 Families

The Assam government has expanded its flood relief efforts, releasing a second round of one-time financial assistance of ₹15,000 to 31,951 additional families affected by the recent floods. Chief Minister Himanta Biswa Sarma said the latest support covers families in Sivasagar, Charaideo, Jorhat and Golaghat.

With the fresh disbursement, the total number of beneficiary families has reached 96,842. The government has spent around ₹145.26 crore on the financial assistance so far. Sarma said the distribution process is close to completion, although the enumeration exercise is still continuing in parts of the Sivasagar Assembly constituency.

Depending on the findings of the ongoing survey, another 3,000 to 4,000 families could receive assistance in a possible third phase. This could push the overall number of beneficiaries to nearly one lakh families.

Also Read: Elderly Parents Allegedly Assaulted by Sons in Two Separate Assam Incidents

According to the Chief Minister, direct cash support has been prioritised because many flood-affected households require immediate funds to return to their homes and restart their lives. In addition to the ₹15,000 relief amount, ₹2,500 has also been transferred to eligible Orunodoi beneficiaries in the affected areas through the Direct Benefit Transfer system.

Damage Assessment Continues Across Four Districts
Alongside the financial assistance, the state has launched a Rapid Damage Assessment to document losses caused by the floods. A team of 1,144 teachers is helping officials collect and upload information across the four districts.

So far, the government portal has recorded damage to 26,681 houses and 18,887 cattle sheds. The assessment has also identified losses involving 41 cases of handloom raw materials and nearly 5.99 lakh livestock.
Agricultural losses are also being documented, with around 99,256 affected farmers identified so far. A separate assessment of damage to fisheries is currently underway.

Also Read: Akhil Gogoi Seeks National Disaster Tag for Flood-Hit Assam Districts

The first phase of the survey is expected to conclude around August 28-29. Following this, the government plans to publish the findings on a web portal so affected residents can check the information and report discrepancies.
A second verification round is expected to begin around September 1-2, particularly to identify omitted beneficiaries or cases where the extent of damage was incorrectly assessed. Officials are expected to complete this stage by September 10-11, with the final list targeted for publication around September 15-16.

If required, a third round of assessment will also be conducted. The government aims to complete the verification process and transfer eligible compensation through DBT before Durga Puja.
The total value of damage recorded on the government portal has so far been estimated at approximately ₹480 crore across different categories.

spot_img
spot_img

Get in Touch

125,578FansLike
5,186FollowersFollow
9,137SubscribersSubscribe

Latest Posts